Laguiole en Aubrac knives
A review about how to choose the best Laguiole folding knife.
When a friend offers you a knife blade, reach into your pocket and give them a coin. Tradition has it that the bond of friendship that unites you will not be severed!
A Laguiole en Aubrac folding knife is an object that is very practical on a daily basis. Popular with adventurers and nature lovers, this essential utensil fits easily in a pocket or bag. Campers and hikers never part with it, as it is compact and useful. All knives are made of stainless steel, which means they will not rust, or very little, and their sharpening requirement is quite low.
The assembly, adjustment and polishing of each model is carried out in one step by the same artisan cutler, which guarantees the high quality of a Laguiole en Aubrac folding knives.
How to recognize an authentic Laguiole en Aubrac folding knife :
- The blade is sharp and not serrated.
- The Laguiole en Aubrac© manufacture logo is affixed to one side of the blade.
- The edge of the blade holds a long time.
- The handle material will always be top of the range, never plastic.
- The handle is decorated with 6 stainless steel rivets showing the shepherd’s cross (except horn crust).
- Stainless steel bolsters are always full of metal and encircle the blade, the handle and the guillochage.
- The bee is guillochee and will always be welded securely to the top of the knife. The guillochage is different on each folding knife model so that each knife is unique.
The particularity of Laguiole corkscrew folding knife models:
- The bee and the spring are forged in the mass, a guarantee of quality, and form a single piece.
- The bee is guillochée, as well as its spring.
- The spring has a stopper to prevent the blade from becoming dull when closing on it.
- The wick of the corkscrew fits into the extension of the spring and the bee.
Good to remember: bolsters can be in golden brass, shiny stainless steel or satin stainless steel. Shiny stainless-steel bolsters are found mainly on the pointed handles of mixed horns and on woods such as Snakewood or Ebony which will reveal the beauty of their rib and their grain thanks to a brilliant polishing. Woods such as Juniper, Pistachio, Walnut or Vine have a satin polish.
Are you more of a classic Laguiole or double plates folding knives?
There are two types of Laguiole en Aubrac folding knives: the classic folding knife or the double platinum folding knife. Each of its two categories offers models with a single blade or with a corkscrew.
The Laguiole double plate differs from the classic range by a greater width thanks to the addition of an additional plate on each side of the spring. The guillochage work is also very different. Finely worked with a file and a chisel, the guillochage is more creative and departs from the usual conventions of the decoration of traditional models thanks to an elaborate chiselling work both on the spring and on the external and internal plates.
Folding knife handles, appreciate the materials!
Our Laguiole en Aubrac folding knives offer you elegant handles made of natural and durable materials such as wood or natural horns. In particular, we find vine stock, Amourette, Pistachio wood and even horn tip, all of which are hand-crafted by Aubrac cutlery artisans.
Top 3 of the most popular handle materials on folding knives:
- Juniper for its peppery smell.
- Pistachio for its unique and original grain.
- The tip of Horn because it is the material traditionally used in cutlery.
4 tips for maintaining your Laguiole folding knife
- Keep your folding knife in the box or case provided to avoid scratches and bumps.
- Clean the blade with clear water and washing-up liquid with the soft part of a sponge, then wipe and store your Laguiole knife.
- Clean the handle with a soft cloth without abrasive substance only if it has been soiled. 4. The dishwasher is absolutely forbidden.
A Laguiole pocket knife, a companion for life!
A Laguiole en Aubrac pocket knife is a high-end object designed to last. Know-how, materials and finishes, each step and element that make up a Laguiole en Aubrac folding knife has been made to last. When planning to buy a folding knife, always be sure to have the name and address of the manufacturer and that it is located in France. A real Laguiole folding knife will also always be accompanied by a certificate of authenticity stamped Laguiole en Aubrac© because it is guaranteed for life against any manufacturing defect.
How about accompanying your Laguiole folding knife with a handcrafted leather pocket sheath?
French craftsmanship is at the heart of our business. That’s why we exclusively launch a collection of pocket sheaths made especially for your Laguiole folding knife by an independent saddler-leatherworker. Elegant and modern, these pocket sheaths are made to measure in Paris from the finest French goat leathers.
All seams and finishes are handmade, a guarantee of excellent quality and strength of the cases. Discover our collection of Laguiole en Aubrac pocket sheaths exclusively online on our website.